The Role of Silicone Treatment in Scar Management
(German) Board-certified Plastic Surgeon
Certified Bariplastic Surgeon
(German) Board-certified Hand Surgeon
Professor Dr. Robert Hierner
- ….. is a pioneer in the field of scar management and scar removal. Based on many years of research and clinical experience in the field of scar therapy, we has developed a so-called “integrative scar therapy concept” and successfully implemented it in his daily practice
- Hierner R., van den Kerckhove E.: Organization and results of the “multidisciplinary scar clinic” European Surgery Suppl. 234 (2010) 29 – 30
- ….. Is the editor of the standard textbook of Plastic Surgery in 5 volumes in German language
- When to start Silicone Treatment
- Should I use a silicone patch or silicone gel?
- How to apply the Silicone Sheet on the Scar?
- What do you have to consider when starting therapy?
- How many hours a day should you wear silicone scar sheets?
- How long can you use one (the same) Silicone Patch ?
- How do you wash Silicone Scar Sheets?
- How long does the whole Silicone Therapy last?
- How often do I have to go to Scar Check-ups?
- Does silicone therapy rid of scars?
- What are the Benefits of the Silicone Therapy?
- What are the Risks of the Silicone Therapy?
- What are the Costs of the Silicone Therapy?
“The scar is our buisness card”
Silicone Therapy in Burns
Based on the positive experience in burn patients, Silicone therapy became a well-accepted standard treatment in burns
How does Silicone therapy work?
Silicone Therapy in normal Scars
Extensive expertise in the treatment of burn scars
Increasing importance of the treatment of (postoperative, accident, …) scars and swelling
→ Know how-Transfer
→ « integrative scar treatment concept
When to start Silicone Treatment
Silicone Therapy can only be started after complete wound healing (3 – 4 weeks after surgery/Trauma)
- no more sutures
- no more open wound parts
- no more crusts (→ start “Basic Skin Care”)
Should I use a silicone patch or silicone gel?
- Whenever possible, the silicone sheet should be used, as it has a significantly higher scar-suppressing effect than the silicone gel.
- Silicone gel is only indicated when a silicone patch cannot be used (e.g. face)
How to apply the Silicone Sheet on the Scar?
For adequate scar therapy it is necessary that all edges of the silicone patch are at least 1 – 1.5 cm away from the scar
■ After planning the size of the silicone patch, this can be cut off the large piece of silicone with regular scissors
Before the silicone plaster can be applied, it must be checked that there are no residues of creams on the skin
What do you have to consider when starting Therapy?
Progressive build-up of application time: At the start of therapy, care must be taken to gradually adapt the skin to the new conditions in order to avoid possible side effects
■ Each silicone therapy starts with a duration of 2 hours. During the first week, the duration of therapy is increased by 2 hours per day
■ If 8 hours have been reached and no skin reaction has occurred, the wearing time can be extended without further steps up to a maximum of 20 hours per day.A minimum of 4 hours should be left for skin care and scar massage
How many hours a day should you wear Silicone Scar Sheets?
We recommend wearing the sheets for 12 to 20 hours, making sure you remove them daily to allow the area to be
Silicone patches can be worn depending on the patients`activities and the preferences during:
How long can you use one (the same) Silicone Patch ?
- Silicone sheets are re-usable
- The same silicone patch can be used for 4 – 6 weeks, provided good maintenance
How do you wash Silicone Scar Sheets?
Silicone sheets should be cleaned daily to maintain adhesive strength:
- Rub the sheet with a few drops of cleaning soap or neutral soap and lukewarm water
- Rinse the Silicone sheet well under lukewarm, running water so that all dirt and soap residue is removed
- The washed silicone plaster should be placed on the edge of the sink or on a smooth surface with the non-stick side down
How long does the whole Silicone Therapy last?
Scar maturation shows individual differences.
- For most patients a period of 3 – 6 months is necessary
10 Days After Surgery
1 month After Surgery
2 months after surgery
3 Months After Surgery
6 Months After Surgery
12 Months After Surgery
How often do I have to go to Scar Check-ups?
Follow-up examinations at the following points in time have proven effective in scar therapy
■ 3 weeks post-op (start scar treatment)
■ 6 weeks post-op (control swelling, control scar treatment)
■ 12 weeks post-op (control swelling, control scar treatment)
■ 1 year post-op (long term result)
Does silicone therapy rid of scars?
What are the Benefits of the Silicone Therapy?
■ The application of a thick silicone patch has an occlusive effect and leads to a local increase of temperature and hydration. This helps soften, flatten, and fade scars, by:
■ Hydration of the newly formed skin
■ Reduction of Scarring
→ Reduction of scar volume
→ improvement of scar souplesse
■ Acceleration of maturation process
→ earlier reduction of scar redness (= visibility)
What are the Costs of the Silicone Therapy?
- Silicone patches can be purchased at the pharmacy or online
- Depending on the quality of the silicon patch, the price varies from 40 to 260 AED