Understanding Scar Revision: What Is It and Who Can Benefit?
Scars, although natural signs of the body’s healing process, can sometimes leave a lasting physical and emotional impact. Luckily, there’s a way to improve their appearance.
Scar revision is a transformative procedure that offers hope to those seeking scar removal, whether caused by accidents, surgeries, or other circumstances.
This blog uncovers what scar revision is and who can benefit from it.
What is Scar Revision?
Scar revision is a treatment to reduce the appearance of a scar. Scar revision can take several forms, ranging from creams you put on your skin to surgery.
Scar revision procedures are intended to minimise the visibility of scars, enhance skin texture, and restore a more natural, pleasing appearance to the affected area. But it won’t completely eliminate your scar.
Who Gets Scar Revision?
Anyone who has an unwanted scar may consider scar revision.
Some common reasons for scarring include:
- Cesarean birth
- Cleft lip repair surgery
- Cosmetic or reconstructive surgery
- Skin infections
- Traumatic injuries
If you are considering scar revision, consult a qualified medical professional experienced in scar removal surgery Dubai. They can assess the scar, discuss the available options, and recommend the most appropriate approach based on the individual’s goals and medical history.
How are Scars Treated?
Scars can be treated using various methods, depending on their type, size, location, and the individual’s healing characteristics. Scar treatment in Dubai aims to improve the scar’s appearance, texture, and functionality.
Scar revision techniques may include
- Silicone Gels: Silicone-based products are applied directly to the wound or scar to hydrate and soften the scar tissue, potentially reducing its size and redness.
- Pressure therapy: Apply a bandage or wrap to apply pressure to a wound as it heals or to a newly formed scar on your body. This can help prevent scars and may reduce the appearance of raised scars.
- 5-FU or bleomycin injections: Healthcare providers use these drugs for certain cancer treatments. They may work on scars by preventing your skin from producing new tissue.
- Corticosteroid injections: These steroid injections reduce collagen formation in your skin, minimising the size, appearance, and texture of a scar.
- Cryotherapy: Freezing the scar tissue with liquid nitrogen or argon gas can flatten the raised scars, eventually causing it to die. Cryotherapy is usually reserved for small scars.
- Dermal fillers: Fillers can help reduce the appearance of scars that go beneath the surface of your skin. They’re most effective for acne and pitted scars.
- Chemical peel: A healthcare provider applies a chemical solution to your skin. Chemical peels are best for mild scars, usually on your face.
- Dermabrasion: Dermabrasion removes layers of skin, promoting the growth of new, smoother skin.
- Dermaplaning: A healthcare provider uses a special razor to shave away the upper layers of your skin, improving the appearance of acne scars.
- Laser therapy: Various lasers can target scar tissue, making them smoother, flatter, and less noticeable.
- Microneedling: Tiny needles create controlled micro-injuries in the scar tissue, encouraging remodeling and improving scar appearance.
Scar Revision Surgery
- Z-Plasty or W-Plasty: A surgeon cuts the scarred skin into a “Z” or “W” formation, giving that skin area more movement once it heals.
- Skin Grafting: Healthy skin is transplanted to cover the scarred area, often used for severe burn scars.
What are the Risks of Scar Revision?
The risks of scar revision will depend on your procedure type. You and your doctor should discuss all the potential risks before scheduling your surgery or treatment.
Some possible scar revision surgery risks include the following:
- Recurrence of the scar
- Skin irritation
- Mild discomfort or pain
- Blood clots
- Reaction to anaesthesia
Choosing a qualified medical professional for your scar revision procedure can significantly reduce the likelihood of complications.
Consult Prof Dr. Robert Hierner for Expert Scar Revision in Dubai
With a deep understanding of scar tissue and its impact on the body, Prof Dr. Robert Hierner provides comprehensive assessments to determine each patient’s best course of action.
You can trust Dr. Robert to deliver exceptional results, from innovative scar removal Dubai techniques to advanced therapies.
Book your appointment with Dr. Robert for expert scar revision in Dubai.